Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few famous and courageous people who show that vitiligo doesn’t have to get in the way of your hopes and dreams:
- Winnie Harlow. Top model. A model who has proved that vitiligo is no barrier to success in the fashion business by competing on top-rated modelling show America's Next Top Model. She has walked runways across the world, won a contract with Spanish clothing brand Desigual and featured in magazines such as Vogue and Cosmopolitan.
- Michael Jackson. The King of Pop (1958-2009). The King of Pop needs little introduction. Modern artistry and music would look and sound completely different without his groundbreaking contributions. He won hundreds of awards, making him the most-awarded recording artist in the history of popular music.
- Lee Thomas. 4x Emmy Award Nominee. An Emmy-award winning broadcaster who is currently a weekday morning show anchor and entertainment ‘guru’ at WJBK Fox 2 Detroit. He is also an author and motivational speaker who travels the world sharing his story while challenging people to live their life to the full in the face of any adversity.
- Big Krizz Kaliko (Samuel W.C. Watson). An American rapper and singer. He used the name of the disease he suffers from as the title for his debut album that peaked at number 19 on the Top Independent Albums and number 167 on the Billboard 200 in May 2008. His fourth studio album, titled Kickin' and Screamin' reached number 43 on the Billboard in 2012.
- Yvette Fielding. An English broadcaster, producer and actress. She is best known for being the presenter of the TV shows Blue Peter, Most Haunted, Most Haunted Live!, and Ghosthunting With... . Along with her husband Karl Beattie she launched the Paranormal Channel in the UK in 2008 - the first TV channel in the world dedicated to the paranormal.
- Rasheed Abdul Wallace. Professional basketball player. A retired American professional basketball player who currently serves as an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons, and is an honorable member of the NBA All-Star team. Wallace popularized the phrase ‘ball don't lie’ and is known for his community support in his hometown of Detroit.
- Eddie "Among Ed" Tongol Panlilio. Roman Catholic priest. A dedicated and beloved Roman Catholic priest and governor of the province of Pampanga in the Philippines. Panlilio was named ‘Filipino of the Year’ by the Philippine Daily Inquirer in 2007 when elected above his two leading competitors without backing from any political party.
- Graham Norton. An Irish comic presenter. An Irish comic presenter based in the United Kingdom, he is the host of comedy chat show The Graham Norton Show. Norton is known for his innuendo-laden dialogue and flamboyant presentation style and has won the BAFTA TV Award for Best Entertainment Performance on five occasions.
- Holly Marie Combs. An American actress and television producer. An American actress and television producer who was appearing in commercials by the age of 10, before a number of successful roles in films and TV shows. Holly Marie Combs served as a producer for four seasons on smash-hit show ‘Charmed’, and landed another regular series after that.
- Amitabh Bacchan. Who needs no introduction in India or even abroad. A hugely popular figure in India and abroad who is regarded as one of the greatest and most influential actors in the history of Indian cinema. He first gained popularity in the early 1970s as the ‘angry young man’ of Bollywood, and has since appeared in over 180 Indian films in his long career.
- Richard Mark Hammond. British presenter, radio host, writer and journalist. A British presenter, radio host, writer and journalist. Richard is most widely recognized for his work on hit global car show ‘Top Gear’. Richard had survived a serious crash while driving a jet-powered racing car at 288 miles per hour but returned to the show after recovering.
- Hedvig Lindahl. A soccer goalkeeper who plays for Kristianstads DFF. A soccer goalkeeper who plays for Kristianstads DFF in Sweden. Since making her international debut in 2002, Lindahl has accrued over 90 caps for the Sweden women's national football team. Hedvig Lindahl has been named Swedish women's Goalkeeper Of The Year three times.
- Eric Arthur Hammer. American artist. An American artist better known by his nom de plume Doc Hammer. He is best recognized for his role in creation of animated program "The Venture Bros" for the Cartoon Network. Although he played in several gothic rock bands, Doc Hammer's most absolute passion is painting and he has become successful with his artwork.
- "Fez" Marie Whatley (born Todd Hilliard). An American talk radio host and comedian. An American talk radio host and comedian who originally became well known after becoming a producer and contributor for The Ron and Ron Show in Florida. Fez had been playing a flamboyant character on the air for more than 20 years. His top movie acting credits include Grand Theft Auto IV.
- Karl Dunbar. American football, D-line coach for the NY Jets. An American football, D-line coach for the NY Jets, who stands with his men like a sergeant in the battle. After a brief stint as a police officer at the end of his NFL career, Dunbar started coaching. He refuses to let vitiligo get in the way of his job. Karl uses his platform as an NFL coach to inform people about vitiligo.
- Kara Louise Tointon. English actress. An English actress, best known for playing Dawn Swann in BBC soap opera 'EastEnders.' Not only is she a wonderful actress but she is also highly trained in dance. In 2010 she won the Strictly Come Dancing a series aired on BBC television. Kara Loise is gorgeous and exceedingly bright young girl with a big personality to spare.
Bryan Danielson. An American independent professional wrestler.
Also known as "American Dragon." Danielson has held the top titles of all three promotions (the ROH World Championship, the FIP World Championship, and the PWG World Championship), and is a former head trainer of the ROH Wrestling Academy.
- Scott Jorgensen. An American mixed martial artist. An American mixed martial artist currently competing in the flyweight division of the UFC under the Young Guns nickname. Scott enjoys takedowns and dirty boxing, and he will take victory no matter how he has to secure it. Scott's white vitiligo skin makes his famous tatoos look bright and colorful.
- Shante Artis. Rapper, ghost/song writer and entrepreneur. Aka L.U.V. aka the Rapping Housewife. She began rapping and performing at the early age of 11, and since has become one the most under estimated, underground female artist in the game. A relentless 'go getter, 'L.U.V. stands alone as a rapper, ghost/song writer and entrepreneur taking the level of hip hop for woman to an ultimate high.
- Jonathan Daniel "Jon" Hamm. An American actor and TV director. Hamm gained wide recognition for playing advertising executive Don Draper in the AMC drama series Mad Men, including winning Golden Globe Award and ten Emmy Award nominations. The stress of shooting Mad Men has landed Jon with a nasty case of vitiligo.
- Michaela DePrince. A rising American ballet star. A rising American ballet star born in Sierra Leone who was abandoned at a young age after her parents died, and frequently malnourished, mistreated, and derided and labelled a ‘devil child’ because of vitiligo. After being adopted by an American family, she pursued a successful professional career and is often seen on TV.
- Don Alder. An award-winning fingerstyle guitarist who tackles many parts at once, blending traditional fingerstyle work with extended techniques such as slapped harmonics, fretting over the neck, and mimicking a drum kit by beating the soundboard.
and many other, including:
- Feng Xiao Gang (popular Chinese actor, film maker and producer)
- Joe Rogan (actor, presenter, TV producer, screenwriter)
- late Dudley Moore (film score composer and screenwriter, comedian, musician, producer)
- Steve Martin (comic, banjo player, and film star)
- J. D. Runnels (American football player from Oklahoma)
- Joe Rogan (comedian, TV commentator, film screenwriter and producer)
- Tamar Braxton (R&B singer and over-the-top personality on 'Braxton Family Values')
- Mark Andres, aka Sisqo (popular actor and R&B singer in Hollywood)
- Jonathan Morris Henson (comedian and TV host),
- Thomas Lennon (actor, comedian, screenwriter and director.)
Please note that we have assembled this list from both online and offline sources. If you spot a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we amend the entry.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Master Class On Vitiligo alongside the World Congress Of Dermatology
The Italian Society of Dermatology will host the 24th World Congress of Dermatology in Milan, Italy, under the auspices of the International League of Dermatological ...10 June 2019 09:00, Milan, Italy
Isn't it just a cosmetic disorder?
Like it or not, we live in a society where appearance matters. It should come as no surprise that vitiligo impacts on the psychological well-being and quality of life ...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...
Are there any famous people with vitiligo?
Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few courageous ...
What is vitiligo?
Vitiligo (pronounced vit-ill-EYE-go) is a relatively common skin disease characterized by smooth, white, painless spots or patches on various parts of the body. It doe...