Top Events From 2015
Beginning of the year is always a great time to reflect on the past year. We want to take this opportunity to share our 2015 highlights from Vitiligo Land, so without further ado, here they are:
- We collected 500,000 signatures to support the World Vitiligo Day petition and awaiting for the official registration with the UN / ECOSOC to begin the dialogue.
- 7 Master Classes on Vitiligo and Pigmentary Disorders were held for well over 1,100 participants, to share best practices in vitiligo management and connect with community.
- Over 150,000 people from nearly every country of the world visited our website to learn about vitiligo or find specialists in their neighborhood.
- Community Pulse widget on our home page and Quick Polls provide an instantaneous reading of the current state of Vitiligo Land.
- Mainstream media is going now after vitiligo celebrities, from Cosmopolitan to CNN to Huffington Post to Popsugar ( video) to many other videos, to help people understand what it takes to live with vitiligo and raise awareness.
- New products indicate increased and much anticipated activity in Vitiligo Land. We've seen launch of the new camouflage, cosmeceutical, supplement products last year and anticipate more to come in 2016, - enough for us to begin a new section with product reviews.
- We added many new pins to the World Vitiligo Map, including World Vitiligo Alliance, support & research group in Cuba and even an online community.
- We embraced fully the Open Source Research concept and started sharing original data from Vitiligo CloudBank with vitiligo investigators, while collecting new data to enhance the understanding of the disease.
Yes we know, some of these events have nothing to do with us directly, but it is kinda cool that we helped launch several publications, products, campaigns, groups for the benefit of the global vitiligo community.
What a year! We hope to see you at one of 10 international events we planned this year and wish you in person a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year 2016.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
United Nations ECOSOC session
The tenth session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) will take place from Tuesday 13 to Thursday ...13 June 2017 10:00, UN Plaza, New York
World Vitiligo Day celebration conference in Detroit, USA
U.S. World Vitiligo Day 2017 Theme: "Step Up for Vitiligo: A Call for Truth, Hope and Change!" Reflecting the mission of the “Step Up for Vitiligo” campaign that came...23 June 2017 18:00, Detroit, Michigan, USA
What causes vitiligo?
The precise cause of vitiligo is not well understood. The white areas appear due to loss of the pigment (melanin) that gives skin its color and protects it from the su...
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
In some cases vitiligo seems to be inherited and run in families, with children whose parents have vitiligo being at increased risk of developing the condition themsel...
Can chemicals cause vitiligo?
Yes, certain chemicals can, indeed, induce or worsen vitiligo. Most commonly they include phenols, such as 4-tertiary-butyl phenol (4-TBP, found in adhesives) or 4-ter...
What is vitiligo?
Vitiligo (pronounced vit-ill-EYE-go) is a relatively common skin disease characterized by smooth, white, painless spots or patches on various parts of the body. It doe...