Overview of Vitiligo Research April - June 2015
- Janus kinase inhibitors, in particular, tofacitinib, emerge as a novel treatment modality for vitiligo.
- A review of recent advances in nano- and micro-particles designed for improved topical delivery of bioactive substances.
- A novel molecular link between oxidative stress in vitiligo and promotion of immune cell-mediated melanocyte destruction has been suggested.
- Genetic variation might be useful to predict efficiency of narrow-band ultraviolet B treatment of vitiligo.
- A confetti-like depigmentation might be considered as a negative prognostic factor in vitiligo patients.
- Psychological stressors should be considered as possible vitiligo triggers.
- Pyrostegia venusta leaf extract, a native Brazilian plant, showed anti-inflammatory and hyperpigmenting effects, thus providing a rational for its beneficial effects for vitiligo.
- Hand-held 'black light', which is readily available from online stores, can be used instead of specialized Wood’s lamp for vitiligo diagnosis.
- A low-dose cytokine treatment result in substantial repigmentation in vitiligo patients, especially when combined with microphototherapy.
- A traditional Iranian cosmetic formulation 'sabgh' can serve as an alternative to cosmetic camouflage products designed for vitiligo.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database for the period from April 2015 till June 2015. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between April 01, 2015 and June 30, 2015. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Forty six records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included in this quarterly overview.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
VITFriends Fundraising and Awareness Concert in Boston
Featuring: M.C. - Mary-dith Tuitt Jazz vocalist - Katani Summer Steel drum instrumentalist - Justin Petty Vocalist - Emily Orji and Dr. Victor Huan...30 April 2017 14:30, Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Du...
Vitiligo Walk-A-Thon in Fort Dallas
The annual Vitiligo Walkathon is organized by Dallas Fort Worth Vitiligo Support Group on May 20, 2017. This is an event held to raise awareness about vitiligo in the...20 May 2017 09:00, Dallas, Texas
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
In some cases vitiligo seems to be inherited and run in families, with children whose parents have vitiligo being at increased risk of developing the condition themsel...
Why there is no drug for vitiligo yet?
Despite the dearth of medications available to treat psoriasis - a disease with similar prevalence numbers and impact on quality of life - vitiligo has no known cure o...
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...