Overview of Vitiligo Research January - March 2015
- Research found increased incidence of vitiligo among psoriasis patients, and vice versa, thus suggesting common factors and mechanisms contributing to these diseases.
- CCL22 molecule which promotes regulatory T-cell homing to skin emerges as a candidate for rational-based vitiligo therapy development.
- Intrinsic defects in melanocyte cell adhesion secured by E-cadherin protein might be a factor predisposing to vitiligo.
- CO2 laser combined with topical betamethasone and narrow-band ultraviolet B can be an efficient treatment option of vitiligo in hard-to-repigment locations.
- Involvement of Th17 cells in vitiligo pathogenesis is getting more experimental support.
- A case of vitiligo onset apparently caused by atomoxetine, a drug used to treat attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, has been documented.
- Two studies confirmed that vitiligo onset in melanoma patients is a good prognostic factor of melanoma treatment success likely witnessing successful activation of anti-tumor immunity.
- Comparison of home-based phototherapy with institution-based 308 nm excimer lamp for the treatment of focal vitiligo vulgaris hints better prospects of home-based treatments.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from January 2015 till March 2015. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between January 01, 2015 and March 31, 2015. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty nine records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included in this quarterly overview, under the following sections:
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
NY Vitiligo Community Meeting in September
Our next meeting will be on Thursday, September 21st, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Center at 240 East 38th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Av...21 September 2017 19:00, 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Car...
Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the US Capitol
Save-the-Date for the much anticipated Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the United States Capitol this fall. As many of you know, the Advocacy Committee of the Global Vitilig...04 October 2017 10:00, Washington, DC
Can Scenesse be used for vitiligo treatment?
The drug Scenesse from Clinuvel has been tested in clinical trials in relation vitiligo. Profs. Henry Lim, Mark Lebwohl and coauthors reported (PubMed) results of mult...
What tests should be done?
No tests are usually necessary to make the diagnosis. The white patches may be seen more easily under Wood's light examination.
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
Is vitiligo contagious?
Vitiligo is NOT contagious. It cannot be passed on or caught from touching someone with vitiligo, shaking hands, swimming in the same pool, sharing towels, sitting nex...