Overview of Vitiligo Research January - March 2015
- Research found increased incidence of vitiligo among psoriasis patients, and vice versa, thus suggesting common factors and mechanisms contributing to these diseases.
- CCL22 molecule which promotes regulatory T-cell homing to skin emerges as a candidate for rational-based vitiligo therapy development.
- Intrinsic defects in melanocyte cell adhesion secured by E-cadherin protein might be a factor predisposing to vitiligo.
- CO2 laser combined with topical betamethasone and narrow-band ultraviolet B can be an efficient treatment option of vitiligo in hard-to-repigment locations.
- Involvement of Th17 cells in vitiligo pathogenesis is getting more experimental support.
- A case of vitiligo onset apparently caused by atomoxetine, a drug used to treat attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, has been documented.
- Two studies confirmed that vitiligo onset in melanoma patients is a good prognostic factor of melanoma treatment success likely witnessing successful activation of anti-tumor immunity.
- Comparison of home-based phototherapy with institution-based 308 nm excimer lamp for the treatment of focal vitiligo vulgaris hints better prospects of home-based treatments.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from January 2015 till March 2015. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between January 01, 2015 and March 31, 2015. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty nine records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included in this quarterly overview, under the following sections:
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
VITFriends Fundraising and Awareness Concert in Boston
Featuring: M.C. - Mary-dith Tuitt Jazz vocalist - Katani Summer Steel drum instrumentalist - Justin Petty Vocalist - Emily Orji and Dr. Victor Huan...30 April 2017 14:30, Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Du...
Vitiligo Walk-A-Thon in Fort Dallas
The annual Vitiligo Walkathon is organized by Dallas Fort Worth Vitiligo Support Group on May 20, 2017. This is an event held to raise awareness about vitiligo in the...20 May 2017 09:00, Dallas, Texas
Will it spread?
The condition varies from person to person. Some people only get a few small, white patches that progress no further. Other people get bigger white patches that join u...
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...
Pyrostegia venusta as a folk medicine for vitiligo?
Pyrostegia venusta is a neotropical evergreen vine widely spread in Brazil throughout fields, at the coast, edge of the woods and along roadsides (see photo below). Po...