Overview of Vitiligo Research January - March 2015
- Research found increased incidence of vitiligo among psoriasis patients, and vice versa, thus suggesting common factors and mechanisms contributing to these diseases.
- CCL22 molecule which promotes regulatory T-cell homing to skin emerges as a candidate for rational-based vitiligo therapy development.
- Intrinsic defects in melanocyte cell adhesion secured by E-cadherin protein might be a factor predisposing to vitiligo.
- CO2 laser combined with topical betamethasone and narrow-band ultraviolet B can be an efficient treatment option of vitiligo in hard-to-repigment locations.
- Involvement of Th17 cells in vitiligo pathogenesis is getting more experimental support.
- A case of vitiligo onset apparently caused by atomoxetine, a drug used to treat attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, has been documented.
- Two studies confirmed that vitiligo onset in melanoma patients is a good prognostic factor of melanoma treatment success likely witnessing successful activation of anti-tumor immunity.
- Comparison of home-based phototherapy with institution-based 308 nm excimer lamp for the treatment of focal vitiligo vulgaris hints better prospects of home-based treatments.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from January 2015 till March 2015. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between January 01, 2015 and March 31, 2015. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty nine records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included in this quarterly overview, under the following sections:
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
New York Vitiligo Community Meeting
Our next meeting will be after the World Vitiligo Day conference in Detroit on Thursday, July 20th, 2017, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Ce...20 July 2017 19:00, 240 East 38th Street, New York, NY
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
What causes vitiligo?
The precise cause of vitiligo is not well understood. The white areas appear due to loss of the pigment (melanin) that gives skin its color and protects it from the su...
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
How long does it take to treat vitiligo?
Treatment results will vary by person and type of vitiligo. The rule of thumb is that you will need to allow at least 3 to 6 months before you begin to see results fro...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...