Overview of Vitiligo Research October - December 2014
- Vitiligo Screening Tool (VISTO) is a simple, cost-effective, self-administered tool to confirm vitiligo.
- Much lower prevalence of vitiligo and later disease onset among Taiwanese population is reported (0.064%).
- Serum BDNF may be linked to repeatedly reported association of vitiligo with psychiatric disorders.
- Unexpectedly, IL-2 and IL- 6 levels hint at different mechanism of pathogenesis of stress-induced vitiligo.
- Analogue of viral DNA can trigger melanocyte death, which hints at possible contribution of viruses to vitiligo onset.
- Simvastatin is showing potency to reverse and prevent vitiligo in an experimental mouse model.
- Topical latanoprost (prostaglandin F2-alpha analogue) can be used (alone or in combination with NB-UVB phototherapy) to induce repigmentation of vitiligo lesions
- Infrequent topical tacrolimus can be used as prophylactics to prevent relapse after successful repigmentation
- Based on results of study in mice, simvastatin emerges as a novel treatment for vitiligo, capable to prevent vitiligo onset and to reverse already manifested disease
- Ethnical difference in vitiligo prevalence and associated comorbidities profiles has been further confirmed.
- Level of reactive oxygen species in erythrocytes emerges as an indicator of vitiligo activity.
- Involvement of regulatory T-cell abnormalities in vitiligo pathogenesis is gaining more support.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from October till December 2014. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty one records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included into this quarterly overview, under the following sections:
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
New York Vitiligo Community Meeting
Our next meeting will be after the World Vitiligo Day conference in Detroit on Thursday, July 20th, 2017, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Ce...20 July 2017 19:00, 240 East 38th Street, New York, NY
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
Are there any famous people with vitiligo?
Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few courageous ...
What's better: laser or phototherapy?
In a recent controlled study researchers assessed effect and safety of different laser and phototherapy treatments, such as excimer laser/light, narrowband UVB, UVA an...