Overview of vitiligo research October - December 2015
- Blocking JAK1/2 activity with ruxolitinib might be a strategy in vitiligo treatment but future studies are required to confirm efficiency and safety.
- Mechanisms underlying improved efficiency of NB-UVB phototherapy for vitiligo when combined with topical tacrolimus are described.
- Once-a-week treatment with targeted UVB seems to as efficient as conventionally accepted twice weekly schedule (in terms of administered UVB dosage and number of sessions) in inducing repigmentation of vitiligo lesions.
- Additional excimer laser phototherapy combined with NB-UVB for lesions with slow response or no further improvement with NB-UVB treatment might improve overall regimentation.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from October 2015 till December 2015. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between October 01, 2015 and December 31, 2015. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty nine records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included in this quarterly overview.
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
New York Vitiligo Community Meeting
Our next meeting will be after the World Vitiligo Day conference in Detroit on Thursday, July 20th, 2017, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Ce...20 July 2017 19:00, 240 East 38th Street, New York, NY
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Why there is no drug for vitiligo yet?
Despite the dearth of medications available to treat psoriasis - a disease with similar prevalence numbers and impact on quality of life - vitiligo has no known cure o...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...
I have a new job - should I tell colleagues about my vitiligo?
If you are starting a new job and you are concerned about stares and questions about your skin, try a proactive approach. When the time is right and you are feeling co...