World Vitiligo Day in India 2015
Vitiligo Mission: An Appeal from IADVL
We all know the significance of Vitiligo in our society - Omar Khayyam's statement that "Black dot on white skin is a blessing, but a white dot on black skin is a curse" still holds good. The patients undergo untold misery, face continuous social stigma and suffer cosmetically, psychologically and socially.
While as dermatologists we do our best through councelling, medical and surgical management, the patients need support at a larger level in order to improve their quality of life. It is for this purpose our association organizes Vitiligo Day every year. This year is of special significance - we are organizing it on 25th June to coincide with World Vitiligo Day. This year it is also special because we have planned a series of activities for "Vitiligo Mission".
These activities include:
1. A central webinar on Vitiligo
2. Meeting different officials at Ministry of Health to impress upon them the need for giving status to Vitiligo under non-communicable diseases
3. Patient education through posters and brochures to be distributed to all clinics
4. Distribution of documentary on vitiligo to be delivered to all clinics.
This letter is to request you for your participation in these activities - either group activities organized at your state/city level or at your clinic/hospital level. We request all state/city branches and all members to participate through any of the below activities:
1. Displaying the posters
2. Educating patients through handouts
3. Displaying the Vitiligo documentary/street play
4. Offering discounted services to patients (this is entirely voluntary)
5. Camps, street walks, cycle rallies, candle light vigil
6. Press conferences, press releases
7. Any other program that you rnay like to plan.
It is through persistent efforts that we will be able to make a dent in the wall of stigma of Vitiligo. We in IADVL have always been alive to our social responsibilities and have always done our service to the community. We urge you to join hands in this effort and help us win the war against Vitiligo by bringing colour to their skin, a smile to their lips and joy to their lives.
IADVL - Committed to the community; responsive and responsible
With best wishes:
- Dr. Venkataram Mysore, Hon. President
- Dr. Rashmi Sarkar, Hon. Gen. Secretary
- Dr. Deepak Parikh, Imm. Past President
- Dr. Devesh Mishra, President Elect
- Dr. Somesh Gupta, Treasurer
- Dr. Raghunath Reddy and Dr. Rajesh Buddadev, Vice Presidents
- Dr. Manish Gautham and Dr. Rohit Batra, Joint Secretary
- Dr. Davinder Parsad, Chairman Vitiligo Mission
- Dr. Umashankar N, Convener Vitiligo Mission
World Vitiligo Day ProgramWelcome to the Program: Dr. Rashmi Sarkar (Hon. Secretary, IADVL) 2.30-2.35 PMIntroduction - Vitiligo Mission: Dr. Mysore Ventakaram (President, IADVL) 2.35-2.45 PM
1. Medical Management Of Vitiligo: 2.45 - 3.15 pm
- Vitiligo Pathogenesis: Dissecting functional networks. Dr. Vivek T. Natarajan
- Epidemiology and classification of Vitiligo. Dr. Binod Khaitan
- Vitiligo: Research and Treatment - New Horizon. Dr. Davinder Parsad
2. Surgical Management of Vitiligo: 3.40 - 3.55 pm
An update. Dr. Somesh Gupta.
Panel Discussion: 3.55 - 4.15 pm
3. Psychological and Social stigma: 04.15 - 04.35 pm
- Changing social Paradigm About Vitiligo. Dr. Maya Tulpule
- United For Vitiligo: Science and Society Interphase. Dr. Lipi Thurkal
Panel Discussion: 04.35 - 04.55 pm.
Closing Note and Message for World Vitiligo Day. Dr. Davinder Parsad and Dr. Umashankar N.
Webinar on 'Holistic Management of Vitiligo', supported by Dr. Reddy's Laboratories:
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
The Step Up for Vitiligo Gala
Dallas-Fort Worth Vitiligo Support Group is organizing  'The Step Up for Vitiligo Gala' which will take place on April 28th in Austin, Texas at UT-Austin.  ...28 April 2018 12:00, Austin, Texas at UT-Austin
11th session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD
The 11th session Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) will take place at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, from 12 to 14 June 2018. Mo...12 June 2018 09:00, UN Plaza, New York
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
Children born to parents who both have the disorder are more likely to develop vitiligo. However, most children will not get vitiligo even if one parent has it. In ch...
Can chemicals cause vitiligo?
It’s important to remember there are multiple factors involved in vitiligo onset, including genetic predisposition, living and working environments, and exposure to ce...
What's better: laser or phototherapy?
In a recent study researchers assessed effect and safety of different laser and phototherapy treatments, such as excimer laser/light, narrowband UVB, UVA and PUVA. No...