Overview of Vitiligo Research April - June 2013
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from April 2013 till June 2013. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between April 01, 2013 and June 30, 2013. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty six records have been selected for inclusion into this quarterly overview.
- Experimental data suggest that vitiligo might be considered as a degenerative disease
- MIA protein can be involved in stress-induced melanocyte loss in vitiligo
- Revealed crucial role of BACH2 in shaping regulatory T-cell response in conjunction with association of BACH2 genetic variations with vitiligo support regulatory T-cell involvement in vitiligo pathogenesis and opens an avenue for exploring mechanisms of regulatory T-cell
- Two new mouse models of vitiligo have been developed
- Luteolin may be beneficial in vitiligo treatment
- Dermal mesenchymal stem cells can help in autologous melanocyte transplantation
- Dermal fibroblast subpopulation can be used as a source for generation of functional melanocytes
- Wnt signaling pathway emerges as a target to promote repigmentation from hair follicle
- Childhood vitiligo relapse rate after successful stopping vitiligo progression with systemic steroids is 34.8% within 1 year thus warranting development of preventive strategies
- History of atopic disorders might predict extent of vitiligo.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
XXIII Master Class in Cuba
will be held as a part of INDERCOS Winter Meeting, in collaboration with Cuban Vitiligo Support and Research Group. International and national expert speakers will di...16 November 2017 09:00, Hotel Nacional de Cuba, Habana, Cuba
High-level Meeting on the Asian and Pacific Decade of People With Disabilities
The UN's Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), in cooperation with the China Disabled Persons’ Federation (CDPF), is organizing the High-lev...27 November 2017 09:00, Beijing, China
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
Why there is no drug for vitiligo yet?
Despite the dearth of medications available to treat psoriasis - a disease with similar prevalence numbers and impact on quality of life - vitiligo has no known cure o...
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
What tests should be done?
No tests are usually necessary to make the diagnosis. The white patches may be seen more easily under Wood's light examination.