Overview of Vitiligo Research April - June 2014
- The first part of review series on vitiligo dedicated to disease pathogenesis and triggers recently published.
- Epidemiological study found no gender differences in vitiligo. Consanguinity in marriage increases incidence in vitiligo.
- Candidate biomarkers confirm the autoimmune nature of vitiligo progression.
- Several previous studies pointed to the superior efficiency of high-intensity narrow-band ultraviolet (NB-UVB) over conventional NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Anti-oxidant effect of NB-UVB in vitiligo patients unexpectedly found, witnessed by a decrease in initially elevated markers of oxidative stress.
- An Eastern medicine treatment, moxibution, reported with good clinical results accompanied by normalization of altered immunological parameters in vitiligo patients.
This is our quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from April 2014 till June 2014. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between April 01, 2014 and June 30, 2014. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Thirty six records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included into this quarterly overview.
Join Us for the Master Class
Our next Master Class on Vitiligo and Pigmentary Disorders in Turkey will offer colleagues from across the world an ideal environment to learn about recent advances, future developments and prospective research opportunities, and to exchange ideas and experiences in the field of pigmentary disorders.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
XXIII Master Class in Cuba
will be held as a part of INDERCOS Winter Meeting, in collaboration with Cuban Vitiligo Support and Research Group. International and national expert speakers will di...16 November 2017 09:00, Hotel Nacional de Cuba, Habana, Cuba
High-level Meeting on the Asian and Pacific Decade of People With Disabilities
The UN's Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), in cooperation with the China Disabled Persons’ Federation (CDPF), is organizing the High-lev...27 November 2017 09:00, Beijing, China
Can Scenesse be used for vitiligo treatment?
The drug Scenesse from Clinuvel has been tested in clinical trials in relation vitiligo. Profs. Henry Lim, Mark Lebwohl and coauthors reported (PubMed) results of mult...
What causes vitiligo?
The precise cause of vitiligo is not well understood. The white areas appear due to loss of the pigment (melanin) that gives skin its color and protects it from the su...
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
In some cases vitiligo seems to be inherited and run in families, with children whose parents have vitiligo being at increased risk of developing the condition themsel...
How can I cure vitiligo?
There is no cure for vitiligo, but there are a number of effective treatment options that can be discussed with your GP or dermatologist. The aim of treatment is to st...