Overview of Vitiligo Research April - June 2014
- The first part of review series on vitiligo dedicated to disease pathogenesis and triggers recently published.
- Epidemiological study found no gender differences in vitiligo. Consanguinity in marriage increases incidence in vitiligo.
- Candidate biomarkers confirm the autoimmune nature of vitiligo progression.
- Several previous studies pointed to the superior efficiency of high-intensity narrow-band ultraviolet (NB-UVB) over conventional NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Anti-oxidant effect of NB-UVB in vitiligo patients unexpectedly found, witnessed by a decrease in initially elevated markers of oxidative stress.
- An Eastern medicine treatment, moxibution, reported with good clinical results accompanied by normalization of altered immunological parameters in vitiligo patients.
This is our quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from April 2014 till June 2014. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between April 01, 2014 and June 30, 2014. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Thirty six records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included into this quarterly overview.
Join Us for the Master Class
Our next Master Class on Vitiligo and Pigmentary Disorders in Turkey will offer colleagues from across the world an ideal environment to learn about recent advances, future developments and prospective research opportunities, and to exchange ideas and experiences in the field of pigmentary disorders.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
11th session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD
The 11th session Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) will take place at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, from 12 to 14 June 2018. Mo...12 June 2018 09:00, UN Plaza, New York
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity...06 October 2018 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Can chemicals cause vitiligo?
Yes, certain chemicals can, indeed, induce or worsen vitiligo. Most commonly they include phenols, such as 4-tertiary-butyl phenol (4-TBP, found in adhesives) or 4-ter...
I have a new job - should I tell colleagues about my vitiligo?
If you are starting a new job and you are concerned about stares and questions about your skin, try a proactive approach. When the time is right and you are feeling co...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...