Overview of Vitiligo Research April - June 2014
- The first part of review series on vitiligo dedicated to disease pathogenesis and triggers recently published.
- Epidemiological study found no gender differences in vitiligo. Consanguinity in marriage increases incidence in vitiligo.
- Candidate biomarkers confirm the autoimmune nature of vitiligo progression.
- Several previous studies pointed to the superior efficiency of high-intensity narrow-band ultraviolet (NB-UVB) over conventional NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Anti-oxidant effect of NB-UVB in vitiligo patients unexpectedly found, witnessed by a decrease in initially elevated markers of oxidative stress.
- An Eastern medicine treatment, moxibution, reported with good clinical results accompanied by normalization of altered immunological parameters in vitiligo patients.
This is our quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from April 2014 till June 2014. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between April 01, 2014 and June 30, 2014. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Thirty six records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included into this quarterly overview.
Join Us for the Master Class
Our next Master Class on Vitiligo and Pigmentary Disorders in Turkey will offer colleagues from across the world an ideal environment to learn about recent advances, future developments and prospective research opportunities, and to exchange ideas and experiences in the field of pigmentary disorders.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
NY Vitiligo community meeting
We will be having a joint session with another community group, the alopecia areata group. Alopecia areata is an immune-related disease, like vitiligo, that causes ha...13 April 2017 19:00, NYU's Ambulatory Care Center at 24...
VITFriends Fundraising & Awareness Concert in Boston
Featuring: M.C. - Mary-dith Tuitt Jazz vocalist - Katani Summer Steel drum instrumentalist - Justin Petty Vocalist - Emily Orji and Dr. Victor Huan...30 April 2017 14:30, Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Du...
Isn't it just a cosmetic disorder?
Like it or not, we live in a society where appearance matters. It should come as no surprise that vitiligo impacts on the psychological well-being and quality of life ...
Can Scenesse be used for vitiligo treatment?
The drug Scenesse from Clinuvel has been tested in clinical trials in relation vitiligo. Profs. Henry Lim, Mark Lebwohl and coauthors reported (PubMed) results of mult...
What tests should be done?
No tests are usually necessary to make the diagnosis. The white patches may be seen more easily under Wood's light examination.
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...