Overview of Vitiligo Research Jan - Mar 2014
This is our exclusive quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field for the period from January till March 2014 published April 10, 2014.
- Simple leaflet including psychoeducation, relaxation and attentional refocusing combined with guidance on forming specific “if-then” plans might be an effective tool to alleviate social anxiety in vitiligo patients.
- Acridone acetic acid emerges as a novel treatment of vitiligo bringing effective and long-lasting cessation of disease activity. Oral minocycline shows up as an equally efficient alternative to systemic steroids in the management of active vitiligo.
- Novel topical formulation emulating NB-UVB phototherapy upon sun exposure showed efficacy in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Long-term topical use of nitrogen mustard to treat vitiligo may lead to development of multiple skin malignancies.
- High-dose daily vitamin D combined with low calcium diet showed promising results in the treatment of vitiligo in a pilot clinical trial.
- Two studies reported that topical 0.1% tacrolimus is as effective as NB-UVB phototherapy thus suggesting that topical 0.1% tacrolimus may be an alternative to NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Repigmentation response to different topical treatment modalities might vary in one and the same patient.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
VITFriends Fundraising and Awareness Concert in Boston
Featuring: M.C. - Mary-dith Tuitt Jazz vocalist - Katani Summer Steel drum instrumentalist - Justin Petty Vocalist - Emily Orji and Dr. Victor Huan...30 April 2017 14:30, Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Du...
Vitiligo Walk-A-Thon in Fort Dallas
The annual Vitiligo Walkathon is organized by Dallas Fort Worth Vitiligo Support Group on May 20, 2017. This is an event held to raise awareness about vitiligo in the...20 May 2017 09:00, Dallas, Texas
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...
Can Scenesse be used for vitiligo treatment?
The drug Scenesse from Clinuvel has been tested in clinical trials in relation vitiligo. Profs. Henry Lim, Mark Lebwohl and coauthors reported (PubMed) results of mult...
Can Ginkgo Biloba help with vitiligo?
Ginkgo Biloba extract seems to be a simple, safe and fairly effective therapy for arresting the progression of the vitiligo. Ginkgo Biloba is known to have anti-inflam...
What tests should be done?
No tests are usually necessary to make the diagnosis. The white patches may be seen more easily under Wood's light examination.