Overview of Vitiligo Research Jan - Mar 2014
This is our exclusive quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field for the period from January till March 2014 published April 10, 2014.
- Simple leaflet including psychoeducation, relaxation and attentional refocusing combined with guidance on forming specific “if-then” plans might be an effective tool to alleviate social anxiety in vitiligo patients.
- Acridone acetic acid emerges as a novel treatment of vitiligo bringing effective and long-lasting cessation of disease activity. Oral minocycline shows up as an equally efficient alternative to systemic steroids in the management of active vitiligo.
- Novel topical formulation emulating NB-UVB phototherapy upon sun exposure showed efficacy in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Long-term topical use of nitrogen mustard to treat vitiligo may lead to development of multiple skin malignancies.
- High-dose daily vitamin D combined with low calcium diet showed promising results in the treatment of vitiligo in a pilot clinical trial.
- Two studies reported that topical 0.1% tacrolimus is as effective as NB-UVB phototherapy thus suggesting that topical 0.1% tacrolimus may be an alternative to NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Repigmentation response to different topical treatment modalities might vary in one and the same patient.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Master Class On Vitiligo alongside the World Congress Of Dermatology
The Italian Society of Dermatology will host the 24th World Congress of Dermatology in Milan, Italy, under the auspices of the International League of Dermatological ...10 June 2019 09:00, Milan, Italy
Are there any famous people with vitiligo?
Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few courageous ...
Is there a traditional medicine to treat vitiligo?
During the last decades, new methods of therapeutic research, ethno-botany and ethno-pharmacology and even archeo-pharmacology (PubMed), have been used extensively to ...
Is it possible to stop the progression of vitiligo?
It is true that vitiligo progression could be stopped in 4 out of 5 cases by the use of potent systemic corticosteroids. However, systemic corticosteroids might ha...
Isn't it just a cosmetic disorder?
Like it or not, we live in a society where appearance matters. It should come as no surprise that vitiligo impacts on the psychological well-being and quality of life ...