Overview of Vitiligo Research Jan - Mar 2014
This is our exclusive quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field for the period from January till March 2014 published April 10, 2014.
- Simple leaflet including psychoeducation, relaxation and attentional refocusing combined with guidance on forming specific “if-then” plans might be an effective tool to alleviate social anxiety in vitiligo patients.
- Acridone acetic acid emerges as a novel treatment of vitiligo bringing effective and long-lasting cessation of disease activity. Oral minocycline shows up as an equally efficient alternative to systemic steroids in the management of active vitiligo.
- Novel topical formulation emulating NB-UVB phototherapy upon sun exposure showed efficacy in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Long-term topical use of nitrogen mustard to treat vitiligo may lead to development of multiple skin malignancies.
- High-dose daily vitamin D combined with low calcium diet showed promising results in the treatment of vitiligo in a pilot clinical trial.
- Two studies reported that topical 0.1% tacrolimus is as effective as NB-UVB phototherapy thus suggesting that topical 0.1% tacrolimus may be an alternative to NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Repigmentation response to different topical treatment modalities might vary in one and the same patient.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
NY Vitiligo Community Meeting in September
Our next meeting will be on Thursday, September 21st, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Center at 240 East 38th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Av...21 September 2017 19:00, 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Car...
Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the US Capitol
Save-the-Date for the much anticipated Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the United States Capitol this fall. As many of you know, the Advocacy Committee of the Global Vitilig...04 October 2017 10:00, Washington, DC
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...
Is vitiligo contagious?
Vitiligo is NOT contagious. It cannot be passed on or caught from touching someone with vitiligo, shaking hands, swimming in the same pool, sharing towels, sitting nex...
How long does it take to treat vitiligo?
Treatment results will vary by person and type of vitiligo. The rule of thumb is that you will need to allow at least 3 to 6 months before you begin to see results fro...