Overview of Vitiligo Research Jan - Mar 2014
This is our exclusive quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field for the period from January till March 2014 published April 10, 2014.
- Simple leaflet including psychoeducation, relaxation and attentional refocusing combined with guidance on forming specific “if-then” plans might be an effective tool to alleviate social anxiety in vitiligo patients.
- Acridone acetic acid emerges as a novel treatment of vitiligo bringing effective and long-lasting cessation of disease activity. Oral minocycline shows up as an equally efficient alternative to systemic steroids in the management of active vitiligo.
- Novel topical formulation emulating NB-UVB phototherapy upon sun exposure showed efficacy in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Long-term topical use of nitrogen mustard to treat vitiligo may lead to development of multiple skin malignancies.
- High-dose daily vitamin D combined with low calcium diet showed promising results in the treatment of vitiligo in a pilot clinical trial.
- Two studies reported that topical 0.1% tacrolimus is as effective as NB-UVB phototherapy thus suggesting that topical 0.1% tacrolimus may be an alternative to NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Repigmentation response to different topical treatment modalities might vary in one and the same patient.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
11th session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD
The 11th session Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) will take place at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, from 12 to 14 June 2018. Mo...12 June 2018 09:00, UN Plaza, New York
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity...06 October 2018 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...
Why there is no drug for vitiligo yet?
Despite the dearth of medications available to treat psoriasis - a disease with similar prevalence numbers and impact on quality of life - vitiligo has no known cure o...