Overview of Vitiligo Research Jan - Mar 2014
This is our exclusive quarterly review of research results in the vitiligo field for the period from January till March 2014 published April 10, 2014.
- Simple leaflet including psychoeducation, relaxation and attentional refocusing combined with guidance on forming specific “if-then” plans might be an effective tool to alleviate social anxiety in vitiligo patients.
- Acridone acetic acid emerges as a novel treatment of vitiligo bringing effective and long-lasting cessation of disease activity. Oral minocycline shows up as an equally efficient alternative to systemic steroids in the management of active vitiligo.
- Novel topical formulation emulating NB-UVB phototherapy upon sun exposure showed efficacy in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Long-term topical use of nitrogen mustard to treat vitiligo may lead to development of multiple skin malignancies.
- High-dose daily vitamin D combined with low calcium diet showed promising results in the treatment of vitiligo in a pilot clinical trial.
- Two studies reported that topical 0.1% tacrolimus is as effective as NB-UVB phototherapy thus suggesting that topical 0.1% tacrolimus may be an alternative to NB-UVB phototherapy.
- Repigmentation response to different topical treatment modalities might vary in one and the same patient.
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
New York Vitiligo Community Meeting
Our next meeting will be after the World Vitiligo Day conference in Detroit on Thursday, July 20th, 2017, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Ce...20 July 2017 19:00, 240 East 38th Street, New York, NY
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Isn't it just a cosmetic disorder?
Like it or not, we live in a society where appearance matters. It should come as no surprise that vitiligo impacts on the psychological well-being and quality of life ...
Will it spread?
The condition varies from person to person. Some people only get a few small, white patches that progress no further. Other people get bigger white patches that join u...
What tests should be done?
No tests are usually necessary to make the diagnosis. The white patches may be seen more easily under Wood's light examination.
Pyrostegia venusta as a folk medicine for vitiligo?
Pyrostegia venusta is a neotropical evergreen vine widely spread in Brazil throughout fields, at the coast, edge of the woods and along roadsides (see photo below). Po...