Overview of Vitiligo Research July - September 2013
This is a VR Foundation’s regular review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from July 2013 till September 2013. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between July 01, 2013 and September 30, 2013. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Forty seven records have been selected for inclusion into this quarterly overview.
- Broad-band UVA phototherapy reported to be superior over narrow-band UVB treatment
- Foam formulation of clobetasol propionate may provide additional benefits in vitiligo treatment
- Additional evidence of regulatory T-cell role in vitiligo provided
- Sunscreen cream with bandpass centered at 311 nm has been described as a novel anti-vitiligo weapon
- Lesional keratinocytes might be deficient in NB-UVB response thus contributing to failure of phototherapy in repigmentation
- Every eighth patients treated with oral mini-pulse dexamethasone therapy to stop vitiligo progression will relapse at average of about 2.5 years after successful treatment
- Rituximab, anti-CD20 recombinant monoclonal antibody, may be efficient in vitiligo treatment
Full report is available for download in pdf
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Master Class On Vitiligo alongside the World Congress Of Dermatology
The Italian Society of Dermatology will host the 24th World Congress of Dermatology in Milan, Italy, under the auspices of the International League of Dermatological ...10 June 2019 09:00, Milan, Italy
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
What tests should be done?
No tests are usually necessary to make the diagnosis. The white patches may be seen more easily under Wood's light examination.
Pyrostegia venusta as a folk medicine for vitiligo?
Pyrostegia venusta is a neotropical evergreen vine widely spread in Brazil throughout fields, at the coast, edge of the woods and along roadsides (see photo below). Po...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...