Overview of Vitiligo Research July - September 2013
This is a VR Foundation’s regular review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from July 2013 till September 2013. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between July 01, 2013 and September 30, 2013. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Forty seven records have been selected for inclusion into this quarterly overview.
- Broad-band UVA phototherapy reported to be superior over narrow-band UVB treatment
- Foam formulation of clobetasol propionate may provide additional benefits in vitiligo treatment
- Additional evidence of regulatory T-cell role in vitiligo provided
- Sunscreen cream with bandpass centered at 311 nm has been described as a novel anti-vitiligo weapon
- Lesional keratinocytes might be deficient in NB-UVB response thus contributing to failure of phototherapy in repigmentation
- Every eighth patients treated with oral mini-pulse dexamethasone therapy to stop vitiligo progression will relapse at average of about 2.5 years after successful treatment
- Rituximab, anti-CD20 recombinant monoclonal antibody, may be efficient in vitiligo treatment
Full report is available for download in pdf
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
New York Vitiligo Community Meeting
Our next meeting will be after the World Vitiligo Day conference in Detroit on Thursday, July 20th, 2017, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Ce...20 July 2017 19:00, 240 East 38th Street, New York, NY
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Isn't it just a cosmetic disorder?
Like it or not, we live in a society where appearance matters. It should come as no surprise that vitiligo impacts on the psychological well-being and quality of life ...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...
I have a new job - should I tell colleagues about my vitiligo?
If you are starting a new job and you are concerned about stares and questions about your skin, try a proactive approach. When the time is right and you are feeling co...
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...