Overview of Vitiligo Research July - September 2013
This is a VR Foundation’s regular review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from July 2013 till September 2013. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between July 01, 2013 and September 30, 2013. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Forty seven records have been selected for inclusion into this quarterly overview.
- Broad-band UVA phototherapy reported to be superior over narrow-band UVB treatment
- Foam formulation of clobetasol propionate may provide additional benefits in vitiligo treatment
- Additional evidence of regulatory T-cell role in vitiligo provided
- Sunscreen cream with bandpass centered at 311 nm has been described as a novel anti-vitiligo weapon
- Lesional keratinocytes might be deficient in NB-UVB response thus contributing to failure of phototherapy in repigmentation
- Every eighth patients treated with oral mini-pulse dexamethasone therapy to stop vitiligo progression will relapse at average of about 2.5 years after successful treatment
- Rituximab, anti-CD20 recombinant monoclonal antibody, may be efficient in vitiligo treatment
Full report is available for download in pdf
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
XXIII Master Class in Cuba
will be held as a part of INDERCOS Winter Meeting, in collaboration with Cuban Vitiligo Support and Research Group. International and national expert speakers will di...16 November 2017 09:00, Hotel Nacional de Cuba, Habana, Cuba
High-level Meeting on the Asian and Pacific Decade of People With Disabilities
The UN's Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), in cooperation with the China Disabled Persons’ Federation (CDPF), is organizing the High-lev...27 November 2017 09:00, Beijing, China
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
How long does it take to treat vitiligo?
Treatment results will vary by person and type of vitiligo. The rule of thumb is that you will need to allow at least 3 to 6 months before you begin to see results fro...
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
Polypodium leucotomos as an adjunct treatment for vitiligo?
Extracts of the tropical fern Polypodium leucotomos appear to possess beneficial properties for the vitiligious skin. Polypodium leucotomos (also classified as Polypo...