Overview of Vitiligo Research July - September 2014
- A second part of a review series on vitiligo covering disease classification, histopathology and treatments was published.
- An update on psycho-neuro-endocrine-immune connection in vitiligo and role of neuropeptides in control of regional immunity in skin diseases.
- Markedly reduced risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers was revealed in a study of large cohort of vitiligo patients.
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a green tee catechin with antioxidative properties, emerges as a potential preventive treatment for vitiligo.
- Results of Phase I clinical trial of afamelanotide showed that experimental treatment might be useful in treatment of vitiligo, especially in dark-skinned individuals
- Narrow-band ultraviolet B phototherapy is superior over oral minocycline in arresting vitiligo progression.
- Adipose-derived stem cells might improve efficiency of melanocyte transplantation in vitiligo treatment.
- Interleukin-33 emerges a possible player in vitiligo pathogenesis.
- Handheld phototherapy lamps lead to better compliance and overall effectiveness of light treatments.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from July 2014 till September 2014. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between July 01, 2014 and September 30, 2014. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty nine records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included into this quarterly overview, under the following sections:
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
Download Review (PDF)
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
NY Vitiligo Community Meeting in September
Our next meeting will be on Thursday, September 21st, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Center at 240 East 38th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Av...21 September 2017 19:00, 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Car...
Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the US Capitol
Save-the-Date for the much anticipated Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the United States Capitol this fall. As many of you know, the Advocacy Committee of the Global Vitilig...04 October 2017 10:00, Washington, DC
How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantia...
Can Scenesse be used for vitiligo treatment?
The drug Scenesse from Clinuvel has been tested in clinical trials in relation vitiligo. Profs. Henry Lim, Mark Lebwohl and coauthors reported (PubMed) results of mult...
Isn't it just a cosmetic disorder?
Like it or not, we live in a society where appearance matters. It should come as no surprise that vitiligo impacts on the psychological well-being and quality of life ...
Is it possible to stop the progression of vitiligo?
It is true that vitiligo progression could be stopped in 4 out of 5 cases by the use of potent systemic corticosteroids. However, systemic corticosteroids might ha...