Overview of Vitiligo Research July - September 2014
- A second part of a review series on vitiligo covering disease classification, histopathology and treatments was published.
- An update on psycho-neuro-endocrine-immune connection in vitiligo and role of neuropeptides in control of regional immunity in skin diseases.
- Markedly reduced risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers was revealed in a study of large cohort of vitiligo patients.
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a green tee catechin with antioxidative properties, emerges as a potential preventive treatment for vitiligo.
- Results of Phase I clinical trial of afamelanotide showed that experimental treatment might be useful in treatment of vitiligo, especially in dark-skinned individuals
- Narrow-band ultraviolet B phototherapy is superior over oral minocycline in arresting vitiligo progression.
- Adipose-derived stem cells might improve efficiency of melanocyte transplantation in vitiligo treatment.
- Interleukin-33 emerges a possible player in vitiligo pathogenesis.
- Handheld phototherapy lamps lead to better compliance and overall effectiveness of light treatments.
This is a review of research results in the vitiligo field which were indexed in the PubMed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for the period from July 2014 till September 2014. Abstracts of papers were retrieved from the PubMed database using the search term “vitiligo” with a filter set up to retrieve records with creation date between July 01, 2014 and September 30, 2014. Retrieved records were manually checked for a relevance to and significance for the field of vitiligo research. Fifty nine records were found to be relevant and of interest, and were included into this quarterly overview, under the following sections:
- Reviews & Comments
- Disease Management And Clinical Features
- Quality of life (QoL)
- Vitiligo triggers
- Case reports
- Understanding mechanisms of vitiligo pathogenesis
- Genetic studies
- Candidate biomarkers
- Mechanisms of treatments
- Methodological advancements
- Novel treatment modalities
- Clinical studies and trials
Download Review (PDF)
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
VITFriends Fundraising and Awareness Concert in Boston
Featuring: M.C. - Mary-dith Tuitt Jazz vocalist - Katani Summer Steel drum instrumentalist - Justin Petty Vocalist - Emily Orji and Dr. Victor Huan...30 April 2017 14:30, Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Du...
Vitiligo Walk-A-Thon in Fort Dallas
The annual Vitiligo Walkathon is organized by Dallas Fort Worth Vitiligo Support Group on May 20, 2017. This is an event held to raise awareness about vitiligo in the...20 May 2017 09:00, Dallas, Texas
Is vitiligo contagious?
Vitiligo is NOT contagious. It cannot be passed on or caught from touching someone with vitiligo, shaking hands, swimming in the same pool, sharing towels, sitting nex...
Are there any famous people with vitiligo?
Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few courageous ...
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
In some cases vitiligo seems to be inherited and run in families, with children whose parents have vitiligo being at increased risk of developing the condition themsel...
Is there a special diet for vitiligo?
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientifi...