General and Technical Details
- Approximately 1,300 vitiligo patients recruited within the age range of 14 to 68 years (as of October 1, 2013)
- All participants undergo detailed examination by dermatologist at a screening visit (anthropometric, demographics, history, prior treatments, photos), recorded in our comprehensive Vitiligo Patient Profile (pdf).
- At recruitment, participants give informed consent (pdf) with option to be re-approached and donate biosample (blood or hair follicles).
Donated blood is used for DNA isolation and serum archiving in aliquots, for consecutive studies of blood-derived biomarkers.
Technically, Vitiligo Biobank is a metabiobank that provides researchers the possibility to search for and request access to the biomaterial that fits their research purposes in vitiligo. It is built under a federated network model, which encourages participation by sample owners who are concerned about their ownership of samples and associated clinical data. The resulting integrated biobank consists of:
- a collaboration network of biobank operators using a set of Standard Operating Procedures (Data Collection in pdf, Blood/Serum Collection in pdf), for collection and storage of biosamples related to vitiligo research, and
- a web application of the CloudBank, which provides a search interface that enables authorized users to search for biomaterial.
A user is authorized to search for the biomaterial and related data after free registration with the VRF. When the user has found the appropriate biomaterial for his research, he or she can request access to the biomaterial owner. VRF will forward user's request to the collection owner who can then contact the researcher and decide about the request.
For more information on biobanking in rare diseases, download our presentation Gold Standard in Biobanking for Vitiligo and Rare Diseases (pdf)
Photo: Inside the Vitiligo Biobank freezer
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
VITFriends Fundraising and Awareness Concert in Boston
Featuring: M.C. - Mary-dith Tuitt Jazz vocalist - Katani Summer Steel drum instrumentalist - Justin Petty Vocalist - Emily Orji and Dr. Victor Huan...30 April 2017 14:30, Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Du...
Vitiligo Walk-A-Thon in Fort Dallas
The annual Vitiligo Walkathon is organized by Dallas Fort Worth Vitiligo Support Group on May 20, 2017. This is an event held to raise awareness about vitiligo in the...20 May 2017 09:00, Dallas, Texas
Can Scenesse be used for vitiligo treatment?
The drug Scenesse from Clinuvel has been tested in clinical trials in relation vitiligo. Profs. Henry Lim, Mark Lebwohl and coauthors reported (PubMed) results of mult...
Can Ginkgo Biloba help with vitiligo?
Ginkgo Biloba extract seems to be a simple, safe and fairly effective therapy for arresting the progression of the vitiligo. Ginkgo Biloba is known to have anti-inflam...
Who is prone to vitiligo?
Vitiligo affects 0.5-2% of the population, and occurs in all races and all social levels. Vitiligo can affect people of all ages, but often starts between the ages of ...
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
In some cases vitiligo seems to be inherited and run in families, with children whose parents have vitiligo being at increased risk of developing the condition themsel...