General and Technical Details
- Approximately 1,300 vitiligo patients recruited within the age range of 14 to 68 years (as of October 1, 2013)
- All participants undergo detailed examination by dermatologist at a screening visit (anthropometric, demographics, history, prior treatments, photos), recorded in our comprehensive Vitiligo Patient Profile (pdf).
- At recruitment, participants give informed consent (pdf) with option to be re-approached and donate biosample (blood or hair follicles).
Donated blood is used for DNA isolation and serum archiving in aliquots, for consecutive studies of blood-derived biomarkers.
Technically, Vitiligo Biobank is a metabiobank that provides researchers the possibility to search for and request access to the biomaterial that fits their research purposes in vitiligo. It is built under a federated network model, which encourages participation by sample owners who are concerned about their ownership of samples and associated clinical data. The resulting integrated biobank consists of:
- a collaboration network of biobank operators using a set of Standard Operating Procedures (Data Collection in pdf, Blood/Serum Collection in pdf), for collection and storage of biosamples related to vitiligo research, and
- a web application of the CloudBank, which provides a search interface that enables authorized users to search for biomaterial.
A user is authorized to search for the biomaterial and related data after free registration with the VRF. When the user has found the appropriate biomaterial for his research, he or she can request access to the biomaterial owner. VRF will forward user's request to the collection owner who can then contact the researcher and decide about the request.
For more information on biobanking in rare diseases, download our presentation Gold Standard in Biobanking for Vitiligo and Rare Diseases (pdf)
Photo: Inside the Vitiligo Biobank freezer
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
New York Vitiligo Community Meeting
Our next meeting will be after the World Vitiligo Day conference in Detroit on Thursday, July 20th, 2017, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Ce...20 July 2017 19:00, 240 East 38th Street, New York, NY
Master Class On Vitiligo In Pediatric Age
will be held alongside “International Forum on Paediatric Dermatology”, which will take place in Rome (Italy), on October 5-7, 2017. This is an exciting opportunity t...06 October 2017 09:00, P.zza Giovanni Randaccio, 1 - Rome...
Who is prone to vitiligo?
Vitiligo affects 0.5-2% of the population, and occurs in all races and all social levels. Vitiligo can affect people of all ages, but often starts between the ages of ...
Is it possible to stop the progression of vitiligo?
It is true that vitiligo progression could be stopped in 4 out of 5 cases by the use of potent systemic corticosteroids. However, systemic corticosteroids might ha...
Are there any famous people with vitiligo?
Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few courageous ...
Is there a traditional medicine to treat vitiligo?
During the last decades, new methods of therapeutic research, ethno-botany and ethno-pharmacology and even archeo-pharmacology (PubMed), have been used extensively to ...