We are dedicated to Open Source Research – this means all our data and information is freely available to you.
This collaborative research environment includes the following resources:
- BIOBANK – We facilitate and finance the collection of hair, blood, serum and DNA samples, integrated with comprehensive clinical records, which forms the Vitiligo BioBank. As a researcher, we can arrange access to the samples for you, which are stored by VRF partners across the globe.
- CLOUDBANK – If you’re a patient, the Vitiligo CloudBank allows you to monitor your condition and treatment progression using a variety of tools – the information you supply is then collected and stored anonymously. If you’re a researcher, you can access this data to aid your work.
- MASTER CLASSES – Our Master Classes are held throughout the world, giving doctors and researchers access to educational workshops that share the latest vitiligo research findings and treatment best practices.
- WORLD VITILIGO MAP - This interactive global map helps you locate vitiligo research centers, patient support groups and healthcare providers experienced in treating vitiligo.
- WORLD VITILIGO DAY - On June 25th each year, helps to increase awareness of vitiligo and raise funds for research, support and education. You can tap into the power and prestige of this event to help your own vitiligo support initiative.
- PUBLICATIONS – We publish a quarterly review of new vitiligo papers, giving you a quick and easy way to catch up on all the latest research and thinking from across the globe. You can also access e-books, sample patient and biobank records, and a vitiligo Q&A on this page.
These are the latest figures (December 28, 2015) for the records and datasets you can access through our open resource research concept. The figures are updated on a regular basis.
Number of biosamples available across the Vitiligo BioBank network:
• Whole blood and serum: 870
• Hair follicles: 1,062
Number of associated data sets (patient records) stored or being transferred to the Vitiligo CloudBank:
• Unique: 2,834
• Including repeat visits: 3,117
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
NY Vitiligo Community Meeting in September
Our next meeting will be on Thursday, September 21st, at 7PM - 8:30PM on the 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Care Center at 240 East 38th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Av...21 September 2017 19:00, 11th floor of NYU's Ambulatory Car...
Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the US Capitol
Save-the-Date for the much anticipated Vitiligo Advocacy Day at the United States Capitol this fall. As many of you know, the Advocacy Committee of the Global Vitilig...04 October 2017 10:00, Washington, DC
How can I cure vitiligo?
There is no cure for vitiligo, but there are a number of effective treatment options that can be discussed with your GP or dermatologist. The aim of treatment is to st...
I have vitiligo: will my children have vitiligo, too?
In some cases vitiligo seems to be inherited and run in families, with children whose parents have vitiligo being at increased risk of developing the condition themsel...
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
I have a new job - should I tell colleagues about my vitiligo?
If you are starting a new job and you are concerned about stares and questions about your skin, try a proactive approach. When the time is right and you are feeling co...