We are dedicated to Open Source Research – this means all our data and information is freely available to you.
This collaborative research environment includes the following resources:
- BIOBANK – We facilitate and finance the collection of hair, blood, serum and DNA samples, integrated with comprehensive clinical records, which forms the Vitiligo BioBank. As a researcher, we can arrange access to the samples for you, which are stored by VRF partners across the globe.
- CLOUDBANK – If you’re a patient, the Vitiligo CloudBank allows you to monitor your condition and treatment progression using a variety of tools – the information you supply is then collected and stored anonymously. If you’re a researcher, you can access this data to aid your work.
- MASTER CLASSES – Our Master Classes are held throughout the world, giving doctors and researchers access to educational workshops that share the latest vitiligo research findings and treatment best practices.
- WORLD VITILIGO MAP - This interactive global map helps you locate vitiligo research centers, patient support groups and healthcare providers experienced in treating vitiligo.
- WORLD VITILIGO DAY - On June 25th each year, helps to increase awareness of vitiligo and raise funds for research, support and education. You can tap into the power and prestige of this event to help your own vitiligo support initiative.
- PUBLICATIONS – We publish a quarterly review of new vitiligo papers, giving you a quick and easy way to catch up on all the latest research and thinking from across the globe. You can also access e-books, sample patient and biobank records, and a vitiligo Q&A on this page.
These are the latest figures (December 28, 2015) for the records and datasets you can access through our open resource research concept. The figures are updated on a regular basis.
Number of biosamples available across the Vitiligo BioBank network:
• Whole blood and serum: 870
• Hair follicles: 1,062
Number of associated data sets (patient records) stored or being transferred to the Vitiligo CloudBank:
• Unique: 2,834
• Including repeat visits: 3,117
I support the petition to designate June 25 as Vitiligo World Day and save millions of people worldwide from social isolation and persecution.
What is coming?
United Nations ECOSOC session
The tenth session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) will take place from Tuesday 13 to Thursday ...13 June 2017 10:00, UN Plaza, New York
World Vitiligo Day celebration conference in Detroit, USA
U.S. World Vitiligo Day 2017 Theme: "Step Up for Vitiligo: A Call for Truth, Hope and Change!" Reflecting the mission of the “Step Up for Vitiligo” campaign that came...23 June 2017 18:00, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Dermaroller® use for vitiligo therapy
A derma-roller is a medical device that looks like a cylindrical shaped drum studded with very fine needles and is produced under several different names. It is used i...
Is vitiligo contagious?
Vitiligo is NOT contagious. It cannot be passed on or caught from touching someone with vitiligo, shaking hands, swimming in the same pool, sharing towels, sitting nex...
Can a gluten-free diet help with vitiligo?
Gluten is the spongy complex of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley, which puffs up when baked with yeast. It is important to realize there are three different...
Can chemicals cause vitiligo?
Yes, certain chemicals can, indeed, induce or worsen vitiligo. Most commonly they include phenols, such as 4-tertiary-butyl phenol (4-TBP, found in adhesives) or 4-ter...