Our work is entirely funded by private donations – we receive no money from government. Your money will help us continue funding research into vitiligo and supporting people affected by the condition.
We have specifically looked into claims that some food supplements or special diet may ease symptoms of vitiligo, or completely reverse it, and found no firm scientific evidence to support this theory.
It does not mean there is no possible link between vitiligo and nutrition, but the diet-vs-disease debate is too complex for simple generalizations. While it may support your health in some ways, it could hurt it in others. An essential matter for anyone suffering from vitiligo, is to ensure well-balanced nutrition.
- Common vitamin deficiencies in people with autoimmune conditions like vitiligo include folic acid, B-12, copper and zinc. However, vitiligo is not caused by a vitamin deficiency and therefore cannot be cured by vitamins alone. Vitamins can have an opposite effect: an excessive intake of Vitamin C can worsen vitiligo.
- Contrary to many beliefs, gluten-free diet has no effect on vitiligo and isn't very healthy, either. If you are wondering about gluten in your child's diet, or someone in your family has a history of food allergies, it is best to get a confirmed diagnosis before you start messing with diet. Two to three months of a gluten-restricted diet is enough to see if it can help your vitiligo.
- Which skin conditions can be mistaken for vitiligo?
Vitiligo is a common skin condition with characteristic milky white patches of irregular shape. However, several other skin conditions exhibit similar symptoms that can lead to ...
- How long does it take to treat vitiligo?
Treatment results will vary by person and type of vitiligo. The rule of thumb is that you will need to allow at least 3 to 6 months before you begin to see results from any trea...
- Are there any famous people with vitiligo?
Many celebrities have dealt with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career. Here are a few courageous famous peo...
Though it is not always easy to treat vitiligo, there is much to be gained by clearly understanding the diagnosis, the future implications, treatment options and their outcomes.
Many people deal with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career.Copyright (C) Bodolóczki Júlia
By taking a little time to fill in the anonymous questionnaire, you can help researchers better understand and fight vitiligo.