Our work is entirely funded by private donations – we receive no money from government. Your money will help us continue funding research into vitiligo and supporting people affected by the condition.
Vitiligo can be puzzling for a child because a person who has it isn't "ill" in a common sense.
To choose the right words to explain vitiligo diagnosis to a child, first consider their age and modify the conversation to make it age-appropriate. The following tips can help you to kick-start the conversation:
- Younger children: I have a polka dots on my skin. It does not hurt but I have to take medicine from the doctor to make it go away.
- Teens: I have an illness called vitiligo. It means my immune system isn't working right, and it makes my skin lose color. There isn't a cure yet, but the doctors have lots of different medicines that can help my skin.
Realize that this will not be one but rather a series of conversations, possibly stretched over days or weeks.
- Pick a good time, when your child most receptive to a serious conversation: on a car ride, before bed or any other time.
- Give information piece by piece and then wait for questions to come. Some may have “are you going to die like Michael Jackson?” type of question, other will have more practical questions like whether you will go to the beach this year.
- Explain it’s not their fault. Some children may blame themselves for a parent’s disease - because of being naughty or an occasional trauma during your recent family vacation. It is important to be clear about their lack of fault.
- Make them feel secure. Counter their possible fears by explaining that there will be no day-to-day changes, and their routines will be the same.
- DO NOT share your personal concerns with children, such as financial cost of treatment and how it may affect your profession.
- What are risks of oral and topical corticosteroids?
Corticosteroid drugs (like hydrocortisone, and others) are often used for treating vitiligo. By mimicing the effects of hormones your body produces naturally in your adrenal gla...
- How to get insurance coverage for vitiligo treatments?
Most of health insurance companies will initially reject claims for vitiligo doctor visits or phototherapy treatments but with enough efforts you can have a substantial part of ...
- Can Ayurveda help with vitiligo?
People have used herbs and natural remedies to treat skin conditions for centuries. Vitiligo is an auto-immune condition that causes white patches of skin to develop and expand...
Though it is not always easy to treat vitiligo, there is much to be gained by clearly understanding the diagnosis, the future implications, treatment options and their outcomes.
Many people deal with vitiligo while remaining in the public eye, maintaining a positive outlook, and having a successful career.Copyright (C) Bodolóczki Júlia
By taking a little time to fill in the anonymous questionnaire, you can help researchers better understand and fight vitiligo.